舒適至悶熱
2014-07-23
Temp:29 ~ 30 ºC
Battlefield Monuments
Battlefield Monuments
Date: 2009-06-06

 

Beishan Old Western Style House

Beishan Old Western Style House

Since 1949, Kinmen has been the battleground for defense of Taiwan's coast. Battlefield relics include the Guningtou Battle Museum and the August 23rd Artillery Battle Museum . Numerous battles have left their indelible mark on the islands, as well as numerous battlefield monuments. These include the bullet-ridden fences and walls of the old Western-style house at Beishan and the temple dedicated to Colonel Li Kuang-chien, that was restored by local residents.


As the front line for Taiwan and the Penghu (Pescadores) Islands, the need for military preparedness over many years has given Kinmen formidable defense installations. Such installations include the Central Tunnel of Taiwu Mountain, Cingtian Hall, the underground tunnel of Cyonglin, the Mashan broadcasting post, Zhaishan and Sihwei Tunnel, etc. Moreover, at many intersections are anti-parachute military stations. In areas of open farmland, stakes have been planted, also to prevent parachute landings, all of which adds to the military atmosphere of the Kinmen area. In addition, Guningtou, the Aug. 23rd Artillery Battle Museum the Hujingtou War Museum and other battlefield relics are of historical significance.



Battlefield Monuments and Cultural Background

The opening up of Kinmen can be traced back to the Yuan Dynasty (371 AD). At that time, there were rebellions in the central plains of mainland China. To escape the rebellions, the Su, Chen, Wu, Tsai, Lu and Yan families moved to Kinmen. So, Han Chinese immigration to Kinmen has a history of more than 1600 years. From the Tang Dynasty, Kinmen developed horse ranches and was brought into the Chinese social and economic systems.


During the Sung Dynasty (1068-1085), Kinmen was included in the map of Chinese territory. And, it was Kinmen, where the Sung emperor took refuge. Also, during the Sung Dynasty, Chu Hsi, a great scholar famous for his commentary on Confucian classics, built schools and libraries. Due to his efforts, Kinmen became known as a cultural center.


Qionglin Civil Defense Exhibition HallAt the beginning of the Ming Dynasty (1287), what is now Old Jincheng was already developed. At the close of the Ming Dynasty, Koxinga arrived in Kinmen and built guard posts at all of the important coastal defense points.
During the reign of Chung Chen, the last emperor of the Ming Dynasty, forces loyal to what would be the Ching Dynasty invaded China's central plains. The surviving members of the imperial family and their supporters fled southward, first to Chekiang in Fujian Province, then to Kinmen and Xiamen. From Kinmen, Chou De Sing made plans to overthrow the Ching Dynasty and restore the Ming Dynasty, changing Kinmen's role from a place of refuge to a military stronghold.
Then, in 1949, the Nationalist troops retreated from mainland China to Taiwan, Penghu and Kinmen. Guningtou was the turning point and a place of decisive victory for the Nationalist troops. Thus, Kinmen became an outpost in the defense of free China.


●    August 23 Artillery Battle Museum


August 23 Artillery Battle MuseumIn the summer of 1958, Middle East tensions were rising. Mainland China took concrete action to show its support for the Arab countries. In addition, to respond to the worsening domestic situation and to test the limits of the U.S.-Taiwan defense treaty, mainland China planned to attack Kinmen and Matsu. Before the attack, mainland China actively took steps to fortify its military. However, the Taiwan defense ministry received news of mainland China's plans on July 17th, and also began to make defense preparations.

This Museum is located to the right of the Banyan Park.  Inside are displays of weapons and artifacts from the August 23rd Bombardment.  In addition, pictures describe the battle conditions and depict the courage of the Nationalist troops in resisting the Communist forces.  Outside the hall are a number of airplanes, tanks and weapons that were used in the fighting.

Opening Hours: 08: 30 – 17:00 Monday to Sunday
Open all year round (Closed on Lunar New Year Eve or day based on government’s announcement and other special occasion).
Tel: (082) 330599


●    Guningtou Battle Museum


Guningtou Battle MuseumThe Guningtou Battle took place on October 25, 1949. During this battle the  Nationalist troops held back about 10,000 mainland Chinese troops and more than 200 mainland Chinese naval vessels. Thus, this event is also referred to as the Guningtou Victory. This battle was a turning point in the stabilization of cross-strait relations.
This museum is located in the northwestern part of Kinmen Island, and is approached via a shaded avenue. Outside the museum are three bronze statues of soldiers ready for battle. On both sides are tanks used in the Guningtou Battle.  Inside the museum, exhibits include military equipment and weapons, documents related to the battle, photographs and paintings, etc. All of the exhibits recall those who gave their lives to protect Kinmen.


Opening Hours: 08:30 - 17:00 Monday to Sunday
Open all year round (Closed on Lunar New Year Eve or day based on government’s announcement and other special occasion).
Showing time for film “Battle of Guningtou”: 0840, 0930, 1030, 1130, 1330, 1430, 1530, 1630
Tel:(082)313274



●    Mashan Broadcasting and Observation Station


 Mashan Broadcasting and Observation StationThe Mashan Hill area is famous for its broadcasting station, used to send out propaganda. From the Mashan Broadcasting and Observation Station, it is possible to see China, 2,300 meters away.

Opening Hours: 08: 30 – 17:00 Monday to Sunday
Open all year round (Closed on Lunar New Year Eve or day based on government’s announcement).


●    Zhaishan Tunnel


1.      History:
The Zhaishan Tunnel are located to the southeast of Gugang Lake, in an area where the southern coastline juts out.  Construction began on these tunnels in 1961 and was completed on March 22, 1966.


2.      Structure and Facilities:
The Zhaishan Tunnel(翟山坑道)stretch over a distance of 101 meters, with a width of 6 meters and height of about 3.5 meters.  Inside are seven rooms that served as barracks.  A unique feature of these tunnels is the A-shaped waterways.  These waterways have a length of 357 meters, a width of about 11.5 meters and a height of about 8 meters, and were used to conceal small naval vessels.

 

The Zhaishan Tunnel

The Zhaishan Tunnel

During more peaceful times, there was a move toward restructuring the military.  A review of military facilities showed that the Zhaishan Tunnel often suffered from accumulation of sand and that there was not enough manpower or money to maintain the tunnels.  Thus, the tunnels were closed and abandoned in 1986.  Later on, there was increasing interest in protecting and preserving national historical sites.  These tunnels became a focal point for remembering those who fought for Kinmen.  Thus, on May 23, 1997, responsibility for maintenance of the Zhaishan Tunnel was turned over to the Kinmen National Park Headquarters.  This headquarters compiles an annual budget to repair and maintain the tunnels, so that they can continue to be used.  Under an agreement with the Ministry of Defense, the military is allowed access to the tunnels under threat of war or for conducting exercises.

Opening Hours: 08: 30 – 17:00 Monday to Sunday
Open all year round (Closed on Lunar New Year Eve or day based on government’s announcement and other special occasion).
Tel: (082) 313241


●    Sihwei Tunnel

Located in the southeastern part of Lieyu (Little Kinmen), between Sihwei(四維) and Jiougong(九宮), are tunnels built in the shape of a double T.  The tunnels cover more than twice the distance of the Zhaishan Tunnel, with a total length of 790 meters.  During wartime, they were used to move troops and supplies.  Currently, there is a plan to restore these tunnels.

Hours: Mon-Sun. 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m.


●    Hujingtou Battle Museum

Hujingtou Battle Museum
Hujingtou Battle Museum

Located along the northeastern coast of Lieyu (Little Kinmen), this museum features displays relating to the August 23rd bombardment of Little Kinmen.  There are illustrations of the defense measures used, as well as oil paintings of battle scenes, information on the battle and weapons used at that time.  In addition, a number of military artifacts are displayed.  From this museum, you will be able to see the coast of mainland China.

Hours: Mon-Sun. 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m.

Last Updated on Friday, 26 August 2011 01:13
 
Today Visitors:13
Total Visitors:65,090
Update on:2014-07-23